Thursday, March 27, 2008

Jack's Big Bun


I just posted a comment about the new Sonic Drive-in that is going to be built in my home town.


Here is a quote from their post; what follows is my comment.


Otherwise, if the rumor about the impending Sonic is true (and thusfar it appears to be just that, a rumor), I confess to feeling somewhat ambivalent about it. On one hand, fast-food tends to be singularly non-nutritious. On the other hand, there’s a certain nostalgic appeal to a genuine Drive-In, where, according to one article I read on the Web, they even throw in the occasional “courtesy tray” visit, e.g., a carhop stops by your car, checking on you, bearing extra napkins, etc.

Comment:

No need for a nouveau-nostalgic drive in at that location. Grant's "drive-in" has been at that location for decades. Before that it was Jack's Big Bun, Where my mother worked as a car hop in high school. I wont divulge my mother's age, but lets just say they did not have any Star Wars kids meals.


I have very fond memories of going to Grant's as a kid and young adult. The owner Russ, would call all the young guys 'Tiger' and tell a couple of jokes or share some old puns. I think he got a real kick the first time he saw me bring in a girl for lunch.


It is a shame that when Russ was ready to retire there was no room in peoples minds for a re-energized Grant's drive in. I also mourn the passing of a place where young adults and teenagers can feel at home, being replaced by a food factory where they can toil away grinding out cheap fast food.


Real estate developers and city council members forget that Ferndale exists because people moved away from big cities. I hoped that some day when I retired I could go back to quite little Ferndale. I think I am already to late.

No comments: