Sunday, August 5, 2007

No more 'First Class' (click here to see more great pictures)


I wrote an email to Amtrak last year to express my concerns over their service and never received a response that was not automated.

The nations train stations are not the only place where we see a degradation of the standards our parents and grandparents came to expect when traveling. The news is full of reports about the not so friendly skies.

I am posting this email to add a voice to the disappointment that many people are feeling.

We can return to the days when "traveling" was part of the trip. When service meant a little luxury and a smile.

Part of the problem is that some moron decided that the customer was always right. That is ridiculous. Some people are wrong, some people are more trouble than they are worth as customers. If companies continue to pander to the inconsiderate and poorly mannered, then their employees will continue to be berated and punished for trying to offer good service and will give up.

I would pay more if I thought that I could take a train ride for 4 hours without having to get up for a drink and a sandwich.

It all starts with asking more from these companies and most importantly, treating service people with respect. Being angry and yelling at them will not improve their attitude or your experience.

And for those of you in charge of payroll; pay more, so you can expect more of these employees. It works at Disney. I have been to Disney Land and Disney World. I have never been disappointed with the service or atmosphere.

Now the email, about my experience, sent to Amtrak.

My wife and I have enjoyed riding the train on a couple of occasions and we have in the past recommended it to our friends. Unfortunately I may have to stop making that recommendation.

For the past 8 months we have enjoyed the company of a Danish exchange student and her friend. We have grown very close to her and tonight we had to get her and her friend to the 7:40 Southbound Train from Bellingham, Washington. As you can imagine, they each had some hefty suitcases, they were going all the way to Seattle and on to Denmark.

When we arrived I was dismayed to find that there were no carts to assist with luggage. When the train arrived, we found that coach needed to load about 30 yards from the exit on the station. Three gentleman wearing Amtrak uniforms got off the train and quickly began hustling people on to the train.

The girls weigh about 100 and 110 pounds. Juliane nearly fell off the steps to the train while attempting to get one of her bags on board. None of the train staff offered to help us. None of the train staff offered to help these very small women get on the train with their luggage. When I grabbed two of the bags and set them on the floor of the train, a uniformed Amtrak employee began yelling at me; demanding to know if I was "traveling today". I was amazed that this person (about 45-50 with Dishwater blonde hair and a beard) could yell at us when one of the girls was already crying and everyone else was on the train.

The agent and I were the only ones on the platform. I am very disappointed that I had to say goodbye to our international daughters under these circumstances.

I am utterly amazed that an industry and a company that was known by my parents and grandparents for its service and comfort, could produce what we encountered tonight. My view of traveling by rail may forever be tainted by this experience. I ask that Amtrak please return to the standards that helped train travel gain the mystique and feel of luxury for which it was once know.

Sincerely, Clayton Ray Randell

No comments: